OAK DALE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
OAK DALE, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Oak Dale, or Oakdale, a farming community at the junction of Farm roads 3236 and 71, twelve miles north of Sulphur Springs in north central Hopkins County, was first settled in the early 1850s. A combination church and school existed by 1868. A public school was operating in the community by 1900 and in 1905 had an enrollment of sixteen. In the mid-1930s Oak Dale had a school and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away. The school was consolidated with the Sulphur Bluff school district, and by the early 1960s all that remained of the community was a few scattered houses.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "OAK DALE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrowh), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.