POST OAK, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
POST OAK, TEXAS (Lamar County). Post Oak, also known as Gantt, is a rural community fifteen miles east of Paris on Farm Road 1502 in extreme eastern Lamar County. It was first settled after the Civil War and was originally known as Gantt. The name was later changed to Post Oak. A school was in operation by 1897, when it had fifty-four students. During the 1930s the town, locally known as a vegetable growing center, had a church, a school, and several stores; the estimated population in 1933 was twenty-five. The town's population continued to grow after World War II, reaching a peak of 120 in the mid-1960s, but in recent years all of the businesses have closed. In the early 1990s Post Oak was a dispersed community with a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "POST OAK, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp56), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.