PLEASANT HILL, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)
PLEASANT HILL, TEXAS (Washington County). Pleasant Hill is located in southernmost Washington County on Williams Creek four miles southeast of Brenham off State Highway 36. The town was originally named Krug after Kenney Krug, who operated a store in the community. Krug also served as the first postmaster when a post office was established there on March 4, 1878. The community changed its name to Pleasant Hill on March 29, 1878. By 1882 the town had two churches, a school, and a population of 350. Most of the town's business revolved around processing and shipping cotton, corn, and lumber. Settled predominantly by German immigrants, the town put on a Schuetzenfest (shooting match) and ball in 1896, which attracted people from Brenham and the surrounding area. By the early 1890s, however, the town was beginning to decline, due in part to competition from nearby Phillipsburg, Muellersberg, and Brenham. The post office was closed on January 20, 1896, and most of the town's residents moved away. In 1989 Pleasant Hill was a dispersed farming community.
John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "PLEASANT HILL, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp82), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles