PLUM CREEK, TX
PLUM CREEK, TEXAS. Plum Creek is one mile south of Farm Road 489 and eleven miles southeast of Dew in southeast Freestone County. Abe Jones, a black man who had a gin and a store in the area, lived at Plum Creek. A church was organized in 1887, and in 1891 a school was started. In 1899 forty-eight black and thirty-five white students were enrolled in separate Plum Creek schools. In the 1930s the community had a business, a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1960s Brown Chapel, Trahin School, Plum Creek Cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings marked the site. By the late 1980s Plum Creek was no longer shown on maps.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "PLUM CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpac), accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.