PLEASANT GROVE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
PLEASANT GROVE, TEXAS (Smith County). Pleasant Grove is a small community just northeast of Tyler, south of Five Mile Branch, and north of State Highway 31 in central Smith County. The first settlement in the area was Akron, established in 1877 as a station on the Tyler Tap Railroad. By 1903 Pleasant Grove School had been built immediately to the south, and a community began to grow up around it. County records for that year show two schools in the district: a one-teacher white school with thirty students and a one-teacher black school with seventy-five students. In 1936 only the black elementary school, with forty-six students and one teacher, remained. The town also had a church and a scattered collection of farms. By 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Chapel Hill Independent School District. Maps for 1972 identified Pleasant Grove as a church, a cemetery, several homes, and two vacant dwellings accessed by a dirt road. It still appeared on governmental survey maps in 1985.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "PLEASANT GROVE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpal), accessed October 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.