PLEASANT GROVE, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)
PLEASANT GROVE, TEXAS (Houston County). Pleasant Grove, a rural community six miles southwest of Lovelady off Farm Road 23 in extreme southern Houston County on the Walker county line, was established before the Civil War. A one-story log schoolhouse began operating before 1857. Later a two-story school building was erected; the upper floor was used as a Masonic Lodge. A post office operated from 1887 to 1891, after which the community apparently began to decline. A school was still operating in 1897, but by the mid-1930s only a church and a few houses remained. In the early 1990s Pleasant Grove was a dispersed rural community. No population estimates were available.
Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PLEASANT GROVE, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrplf), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.