PERRY, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)
PERRY, TEXAS (McLennan County). Perry was a small community located two miles north of Moody in southwestern McLennan County. The area was settled in the early 1850s by families from Illinois and Missouri. The Perry post office was established in 1855; Edwin McClair was postmaster. Perry had a horse-powered gin, several stores, and a community building that was used as a church and school. The community was bypassed by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in the early 1880s. The Perry community faded, as most residents moved their homes and businesses to the new town of Moody. The post office was moved from Perry to Moody in November 1881. No population estimates for the community were available.
William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981). Vertical File, Texas Collection, Baylor University.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "PERRY, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrptc), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles