PLEASANT GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
PLEASANT GROVE, TEXAS (Panola County). Pleasant Grove, a rural community also known as Jaybird, six miles southwest of Carthage on State Highway 315 in southwestern Panola County, was first settled in the 1840s. A school, also known as Jaybird or Pleasant Grove, began operating before 1849. In 1912 the school was classified as a one-year high school but was closed in the 1920s, and the students were probably sent to Bethany. In the mid-1930s Pleasant Grove had a church and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the early 1990s a church and a few scattered houses still remained in the area.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PLEASANT GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpux), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.