RANDADO, TEXAS. Randado is a ranching community at the junction of State Highway 16 and Farm Road 649, twenty-five miles southwest of Hebbronville in west central Jim Hogg County. The townsite was within what was originally a ranch of 80,000 acres owned by Hipolito García. The community name comes from the highly ornate lassos, called randas, that were made on the ranch. In 1836 García built a headquarters out of lumber hauled from Corpus Christi and also built a stone house, a stockade rampart, and a chapel. A post office was established for the community in 1882. In 1891, during the Garza War, Catarino E. Garza encamped near the ranch. By 1896 a general store operated at the community. The small town had three general stores and an estimated population of seventy-five in 1915. Between the mid-1930s and mid-1960s it maintained an estimated thirty-five residents and two or three businesses. The post office was discontinued in 1959. In 1968 Randado consisted of an estimated fifteen residents and the chapel, a cemetery, and a business. In 1983 a business, the chapel, and the cemetery remained. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
Hebbronville Chamber of Commerce, Fiftieth Anniversary, Jim Hogg County (Hebbronville, Texas, 1963). Houston Chronicle, August 25, 1991. Jim Hogg County Enterprise, Silver Anniversary and Historical Edition, March 9, 1939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Elmer J. Edwards, "RANDADO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr05), accessed July 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.