Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon

RED SPRINGS, TX (SMITH COUNTY)

RED SPRINGS, TEXAS (Smith County). Red Springs is a small rural community in north central Smith County six miles northwest of Winona at the intersection of Farm roads 16, 14, and 2710. The springs for which the town was named are located just northwest of the crossroads. The settlement was originally a stop on the Dallas-Shreveport Road, a trade route developed by Tyler residents in the late 1840s. It was organized into a community in 1855 and soon became a center for logging and lumbering. In 1903 Red Springs had two one-teacher schools; one had sixty-seven white pupils, and the other had fifty-seven black students. During the 1910s a crude, unpainted, two-story schoolhouse and two teachers served an average of twenty-five white children. In 1911 area residents established the Red Springs Baptist Church. Maps for 1936 showed two businesses, a school, the Baptist church, and a small cluster of dwellings. Mount Olive School, a black elementary school, employed two teachers. During the 1940s the oil industry developed in northern Smith County, and by 1952 the Red Springs oilfield surrounded the community. The school had been consolidated into the Winona Independent School District. A new building for the Baptist church was constructed in 1957. In 1960 the community had scattered farms, a cemetery, and a water-pumping station. In 1973 Red Springs had four businesses and a cluster of dwellings. It still appeared on maps in 1981. In 2000 the population was 350.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
Vista K. McCroskey

Image Use Disclaimer

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Handbook of Texas Online, Vista K. McCroskey, "Red Springs, TX (Smith County)," accessed December 04, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr13.

Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Texas AlmanacFor more information about towns and counties including physical features, statistics, weather, maps and much more, visit the Town Database on TexasAlmanac.com!