ROTHE, TEXAS. Rothe was a ranching community on Hondo Creek a mile west of Farm Road 462 and eighteen miles northwest of Hondo in far northwestern Medina County. Since the local terrain was too hilly for farming, the principal agricultural endeavor was stockraising. Students at the Rothe School, built between 1908 and 1910, used handmade desks during the school's first six years of operation. A new schoolhouse was constructed in 1928. The Rothe School may have still been active in 1947, but by 1969 it no longer existed.
Houston B. Eggen, History of Public Education in Medina County, Texas, 1848–1928 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "ROTHE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr74), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.