ROCKWALL, TX (HILL COUNTY)
ROCKWALL, TEXAS (Hill County). Rockwall was at a site four miles from Iverson in northeastern Hill County. One source suggests that sometime after the Civil War seventy families settled at the site near a spring. Soon thereafter, they constructed a square structure from local rock (Austin chalk) that according to a deed from a Mr. Revis could only be used for "Christian purposes." The families added a new roof and used the structure for a school. Apparently Rockwall was named for this structure. The spring became known as Rockwall Spring and was used as a watering place for cattle. Rockwall has not appeared on state highway maps in the twentieth century.
Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "ROCKWALL, TX (HILL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr75), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.