SAND FLAT, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
SAND FLAT, TEXAS (Smith County). Sand Flat is a rural community in north central Smith County eight miles north of Tyler on Farm Road 14. East Mill Creek flows to the north and Tyler State Park and Beauchamp Springs are to the south. The area, originally part of the Felix Flores League, became accessible to pioneers in the late 1840s with the development of the Brumley Crossing Road, a local trade route. A settlement had formed there by 1851, when local residents founded the Antioch Baptist Church. In the 1870s both the International-Great Northern and the St. Louis and Southwestern railroads bypassed the little community. Nearby Winona and Lindale became prosperous railroad towns, while Sand Flat remained relatively isolated. Nonetheless, it was granted a post office in 1900, with Judge T. Beal, Jr., as its first and only postmaster. In 1903, however, the office moved to nearby Lindale. The local Baptist congregation constructed a new church building in 1939. Northern Smith County had an oil boom in the 1940s, and the Hitts Lake oilfield had developed around the community by 1948. By 1952 local children attended classes within the Winona Independent School District. The settlement had the Antioch Church and Cemetery and scattered farms in 1966. A 1973 map showed a few dwellings at the site, and in 1981 Sand Flat still appeared on maps. In 2000 the population was 100.
"Post Offices and Postmasters of Smith County, Texas: 1847–1929," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1966. "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "SAND FLAT, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs10), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.