SKEETERVILLE, TEXAS. Skeeterville is on Wilbarger Creek beside Old Bowser Road, six miles north of Richland Springs in northwestern San Saba County. About 1915 the Church of Christ erected a brush arbor on land donated by the Nowlin family. Roy (Dogie) Wilson is credited for naming the community Skeeterville in 1920 because his horse was always covered with mosquitos after crossing the marshy ground. R. C. Phillips moved his store to Skeeterville from Holt in 1922. In 1927 Wilson built a combination store and gas station. Shortly after World War II a brick structure was erected for the Church of Christ. In 1948 the closest schools were located at Richland Springs and Locker. A church and a business were still serving the community in 1984. In 2000 the population was ten.
San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "SKEETERVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs48), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.