STAMPS, TEXAS. Stamps, on Farm Road 1649 ten miles northeast of Gilmer in eastern Upshur County, was established after 1900 and named for W. O. Stamps, who purchased a large tract of virgin timberland and established a local sawmill, gin, syrup mill, and canning factory. He also donated lumber for a school, a church, and a Woodmen of the World hall. In the mid-1930s the settlement consisted of a church, two stores, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of the Stamps was a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 Stamps was still a dispersed rural community. The population reached forty-five in 2000.