STONE CITY, TX
STONE CITY, TEXAS. Stone City is on Farm Road 21, the Southern Pacific Railroad, and the Brazos River, some eleven miles southwest of Bryan in far western Brazos County. Moseley's Ferry operated in the area in the 1860s. The community was founded as the terminus of the Hearne and Brazos Valley Railway in 1892. That year a post office was granted, and by 1914 Stone City had telephone service and comprised thirty-two residents, a grocery, a general store, and a dry goods store. In 1919 its post office was closed and residents received their mail from nearby Steele's Store. In 1940 Stone City reported a population of fifty and two businesses, and in 1988 it had a number of scattered dwellings and the Mount Zion Church.
Glenna Fourman Brundidge, Brazos County History: Rich Past-Bright Future (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "STONE CITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs68), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.