STUBBS, TEXAS. Stubbs is on Farm Road 148 four miles west of Cedar Creek Reservoir in south central Kaufman County. It derived its name from John F. Stubbs, a pioneer settler who came to the area about 1870. At one time the settlement had a school, a church, a cotton gin, and a number of stores. A post office operated there between 1883 and 1907. In 1936 the community had ninety-three residents and two businesses. Three years later Stubbs had a consolidated and accredited school. By 1945, the last year for which population figures are available, the population had fallen to forty, and only one business operated in the community. A history of 1978 describes the location as "just a jag" in Farm Road 148.
Kaufman County Historical Commission, History of Kaufman County (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "STUBBS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs70), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.