SAN ANDRES, TX
SAN ANDRES, TEXAS. San Andres was on the San Gabriel River eight miles northwest of Rockdale and three miles south of Tracy in southwestern Milam County. In 1842 the Congress of the Republic of Texas appointed a commission to choose a site for the permanent county seat of Milam County. This town, which was to be called San Andres, was not laid out until the early 1850s, several years after Cameron had been established as county seat. The San Andres post office was in operation from February 4, 1852, to April 29, 1877. Area residents organized a Methodist church in 1884 and constructed a building for it on land donated by Henry Cravy. When the church building was destroyed by flood in 1921, services were held in the school until the church was disbanded in the late 1920s. No population estimates for the community were available, and the 1988 county highway map showed only a cemetery at its site.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SAN ANDRES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsas), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.