SCHLEY, TEXAS. Schley was on the Old Georgetown Road six miles southwest of Gatesville in central Coryell County. It was established in the 1880s and named for W. A. Schley, who owned the land where it was built. In 1904 the community had a one-teacher school with thirty-six students. Residents were forced to move when the Fort Hood military reservation was established in the early 1940s.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SCHLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsbc), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.