- JOIN | SUPPORT TSHA
SMITH, TX (WOOD COUNTY)
SMITH, TEXAS (Wood County). Smith, also known as Terrapin Neck, is just north of the intersection of Farm roads 2659 and 2911 and three miles northeast of Hawkins at the Upshur county line in southeastern Wood County. Settlers from Alabama, including Dr. O. S. Fitts, J. R. Mooney, and a Mr. Smith, arrived in the area as early as 1845 or 1856, and a cemetery called Smith was established sometime before 1864. In the 1870s another wave of settlers from Alabama moved to the community, among them Alfred Snider, Richard Webb Faulk, and Philip Marion Faulk. P. M. Faulk, who arrived with his wife Mary Jane Routen Faulk and their nine children in late 1875, gave Smith its alternate name of Terrapin Neck because of the large number of terrapins that were attracted to a low-lying stretch of his land near Big Sandy Creek. Faulk served as a county commissioner between 1884 and 1890 and was also among the charter members of the Paron Primitive Baptist Church, which was organized in November 1888 in the Cox schoolhouse near Smith. The Smith farming community was widely dispersed along a stretch of the Snider Bridge road south of its intersection with Big Sandy Creek. Many farmsteads in the area had sharecroppers. Before 1910 John C. Faulk ran a gin and livestock dipping vat in the community. Sawmills, including an early mill called the Smith sawmill, were also important to the local economy until the 1920s. Smith reportedly only ever had one store, which opened sometime after 1870. The Smith school district was established and a school was built near the Smith cemetery after a 1903 petition requesting a school closer to the main community. Around 1905 the Paron Church was moved closer to the Smith school and cemetery. In the 1930s Smith had two churches and a school; in 1932 the school served fifty-four white and twenty-three black students in nine and seven grades, respectively. At this time the community, still extensively populated with descendents of the Faulks who had originally settled there, remained predominantly Primitive Baptist. By 1960 only a few widely scattered dwellings, the Paron Church, and a cemetery across the Upshur county line remained in the immediate vicinity. The 1988 county highway map shows a church and cemetery at the site of Smith; in addition, about three miles north is the Peron church and cemetery, which may mark the site of the Paron Baptist Church before it was moved closer to the Smith school and cemetery.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Timothy K. Perttula et al., `This Everlasting Sand Bed': Cultural Resources Investigations at the Texas Big Sandy Project (Austin: Prewitt and Associates, 1986). Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Rachel Jenkins, "Smith, TX (Wood County)," accessed April 23, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsbx.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.