SHOOK, TEXAS. Shook, also known as Hare, was near San Francisco Creek, a mile east of Farm Road 173, and six miles northwest of Devine in south central Medina County. In 1896 the one-teacher Shook school had seventeen students, and in 1922 a new two-room school was built to accommodate a second teacher. The school curriculum concentrated on music, agriculture, and physical education; facilities included a piano, a library, a large playground, and drinking fountains supplied by a windmill-driven water well. In the late 1920s local farmers cultivated broomcorn and a variety of grains. Shook residents were mostly white, with a significant number tracing their ancestry to members of Castro's colony. In the late 1940s Shook included the school, a business, and several homesites, but by 1982 the townsite had been abandoned.
Houston B. Eggen, History of Public Education in Medina County, Texas, 1848–1928 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "SHOOK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrscz), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.