SODA SPRINGS, TX
SODA SPRINGS, TEXAS. Soda Springs, once known as Sour Springs, is a small rural community on Farm Road 1322 five miles northeast of Luling in southern Caldwell County. The community post office, which operated from 1857 to 1880, took the name Sour Springs because the local springs had an odd taste caused by a high sodium carbonate content in the water. The name of the community was later changed to Soda Springs. During the 1940s a church and a few houses marked the townsite on county highway maps. The flow of the local springs was 6.3 liters per second in 1946 but had diminished to only .13 liters per second by 1975. The Soda Springs community was labeled on county highway maps in 2000, but no population estimates were available.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SODA SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsmc), accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.