SAMARIA, TEXAS. Samaria, on Farm Road 3096 four miles southeast of Kerens in southeastern Navarro County, was established before 1900. A school named Goodnight was in operation there by the early 1900s; in 1906 it had an enrollment of 137 black children. In the mid-1930s the community had three churches, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Kerens school, and two of the churches disbanded. In the early 1990s Samaria was a dispersed community with a church, a cemetery, a community center, a store, and a few widely scattered houses; the population in 1990 was fifty. In 2000 the population reached ninety.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SAMARIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsmj), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.