STOKER, TEXAS. Stoker was a post office community near the site of present Shady Grove eight miles east of Nacogdoches in eastern Nacogdoches County. Apparently it was first settled after the Civil War and was known at various times as Arthur and as Bristow. When a post office opened in 1899, the community was renamed Stoker after Mack Donnel Stoker, the first postmaster. The town began to decline after 1900. Its post office closed in 1905, and by the mid-1930s the community was no longer shown on highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "STOKER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsne), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.