ST. CLAIR, TX
ST. CLAIR, TEXAS. St. Clair was founded in the early 1870s as a stop on the Texas and Pacific line near Gladewater in northwestern Gregg County. Some sources suggest that a St. Clair community was established as early as 1827, but no evidence has been found to substantiate this claim. St. Clair flourished briefly but had disappeared by 1900. Clarksville City developed at the old St. Clair site during the oil boom of the early 1930s.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ST. CLAIR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsve), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.