TOWNS, TEXAS. Towns, also spelled Tauns, was a ranch community on Las Moras Creek a mile east of U.S. Highway 277 in far northwestern Maverick County. Sometime around 1880 John Tauns, for whom the community was named, established a ranch on Las Moras Creek. Local tradition suggests that he was one of many runaway slaves who had gravitated to the United States-Mexico border area during the Civil War era. The ranch, described as a small town with a school and a store, was a social center for a growing community of ranchers in the area; gatherings for horse racing, barbecues, and dancing were a common holiday event. In 1897 the Towns School had seventeen black pupils and one teacher. By 1936 the community had been abandoned; the ranch at that time was the domicile of the Ory James family.
Eagle Pass Daily Guide, July 2, 1936.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "TOWNS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrtgn), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles