TIGERTOWN, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
TIGERTOWN, TEXAS (Lamar County). Tigertown is on Sanders Creek sixteen miles northwest of Paris in northwest Lamar County. The community was named Cothran's Store, for an early family, and used as a voting place for Precinct Five in county elections for 1873. It had a post office from 1878 to 1905. At the same time the community was also known as Tigertown or Tige, supposedly because of a circus poster in a saloon. In 1890 the community had a population of seventy-five, a hotel, a grocery, and a gristmill. By 1892 it had two general stores, a cotton gin, two physicians, and Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Four years later a district school was located in the community. Maps of the 1930s show rows of dwellings, at least two sawmills, a hotel, a cemetery, and Tigertown School at the site. By 1936 the population had fallen to forty and the businesses to two; they stayed at this level through the 1940s. In 1989 Tigertown appeared on highway maps that showed a grain elevator, a school, a cemetery, and one business on the site.
A. W. Neville, Backward Glances (2 vols., Paris, Texas: Wright, 1983). A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Sarah E. Calcote, "TIGERTOWN, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrtja), accessed June 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.