UNION CHAPEL, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
UNION CHAPEL, TEXAS (Smith County). Union Chapel is a church community on State Highway 110, a light-duty road, and two dirt roads, just south of Van Lake and three miles west of Garden Valley in extreme western Smith County. The area, originally part of the John Walling, Sr., 1,487-acre survey, had been settled by August 10, 1873, when Olive Cosby Mayne Cary was buried there. A month later Amplias Smith deeded three acres to the Methodist Protestant and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for a church and cemetery, and settlers soon constructed the large wooden Union Chapel. In 1887 the grounds were expanded when Smith donated an additional three-quarters of an acre. The 1936 county highway map does not label the settlement but does show the cemetery and a few farms in the vicinity. In 1947 eleven church members donated three acres to enlarge the cemetery, and in 1949 the old church was torn down and a new brick chapel was built in its place. Local children were attending classes in Van Zandt County by 1952. In 1959 Union Chapel included the church, the cemetery, clay pits, and a sparse collection of dwellings. The community was still identified on a 1981 map. In 1985 the Union Chapel Church and Cemetery received a Texas Historical Commission marker.
"School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "UNION CHAPEL, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hru13), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.