VINELAND, TEXAS. Vineland, one of the pioneer settlements of Collin County, was five miles northwest of McKinney. Vineland was established in the mid-1840s when Henry H. Tucker received a land certificate from Peters colony for 317 acres. Tucker, a native of Kentucky, had migrated to Texas from Missouri. Initially, few settlers followed him because they feared Indian raids, but beginning in the mid-1850s the number of settlers increased until a church and a school were proposed. Although the same building housed both institutions, the school was named Hackberry and the church was called Vineland. Until the early 1900s Vineland served as a church and school community for area farmers as well as the site for numerous camp meetings. A post office was established on June 30, 1888. In 1896 Vineland's population was reported as twelve. On December 31, 1903, mail was rerouted through McKinney, and soon thereafter Vineland was annexed by its larger neighbor.
`BIBLIOGRAPHY: Seymour V. Connor, The Peters Colony of Texas: A History and Biographical Sketches of the Early Settlers (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1959). Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "VINELAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv24), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.