VINEGARONE, TEXAS. Vinegarone is on U.S. Highway 277 and the Dry Devils River, 2½ miles northeast of Loma Alta in east central Val Verde County. It was founded as a ranching community in the 1920s and had a post office during the first six months of 1926. From 1936 until 1949 Vinegarone reported twenty residents; after 1949 no further population statistics were available. Vinegarone and the surrounding area, known as Vinegarone Hollow, were named for the whip scorpion by that name that is common in the area. The scorpion emits a vinegar-like odor when it is alarmed.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julia Cauble Smith, "VINEGARONE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrvub), accessed July 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.