WEHDEM, TEXAS. Wehdem is on the banks of Buffalo Creek eleven miles northwest of Bellville in extreme northern Austin County near the Washington county line. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity began in the early 1830s. The town, originally known as New Wehdem, was founded west of the Bellville-Brenham spur of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway by German settlers who arrived in the area about 1890. A post office operated from 1904 until 1906, after which time mail was delivered over a rural route from Brenham. In the early 1930s a rural church, a school, and two stores were in the community. In 1936 the population was estimated at ten. By 1949 this figure had risen to twenty, and one business was reported. In 1962, the last year for which statistics are available, the population remained an estimated twenty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "WEHDEM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw10), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.