WILSON, TX (COMANCHE COUNTY)
WILSON, TEXAS (Comanche County). Wilson, in southeastern Comanche County, was named for the first postmaster, George Wilson, who operated the post office in his home in 1880. By 1930 the settlement had a school, which was consolidated with the Carlton school in 1947. The old schoolhouse is now used as a community center and a church. Wilson is the home of the Madison Square Garden Rodeo stock and is the headquarters of the Lightning C Ranch. Although in 1904 the population was seventy-five and there were several businesses, the town began to decline when the railroad bypassed the area. People began moving away, and the post office was closed in 1908. No population was shown in 1980.
Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tracey L. Compton, "WILSON, TX (COMANCHE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw34), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.