WEBSTER, TX (WOOD COUNTY)
WEBSTER, TEXAS (Wood County). Webster, reported to be one of the oldest settlements in Wood County, was at a site west of State Highway 37 three miles southwest of Winnsboro and twelve miles northeast of Quitman in the northeast part of the county. The settlement apparently dates to 1854, when Gilbert Smith Matthews acquired the site and named it after the statesman Daniel Webster. According to some sources, however, the area was known as Prospect Hill in 1855 when it received its first post office. By January 1856 the post office name had been changed to Webster, and the town was said to have had a larger population than Dallas in the late 1850s. Before the Civil War a store at Webster run by Robert Bradshaw, Matthews's son-in-law, was said to be one of the largest in Wood County. The town's businesses at that time also included two wholesale houses that shipped by wagon from Jefferson to Sulphur Springs, Greenville, and Dallas via their storage buildings in Webster. When in 1876 the East Line and Red River Railroad came through Winnsboro, Webster's businesses moved to the railway town, and by 1881 Webster's post office had closed. In 1896 the community's two one-teacher schools enrolled seventy-three white students and sixty-two black students; ten years later the student populations remained about the same. By the early 1930s Webster school district's seventy-three white students received nine grades of school from three teachers; forty-seven black students received eight grades of school from two teachers. In the 1940s the community had a church, a school, and a number of dwellings. By 1960 the church and school had disappeared, and all that remained at the site were a few dwellings scattered less than a mile southeast of the Winnsboro oilfield. Webster does not appear on the 1988 highway map.
W. Cleo Irons, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Wood County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1935). Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "WEBSTER, TX (WOOD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw59), accessed February 07, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles