WILLIAMS COMMUNITY, TX
WILLIAMS COMMUNITY, TEXAS. Williams Community is a dispersed rural community in northwest Hardeman County east of Ranch Road 680, six miles north of Goodlett, and about four miles south of the Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River, which forms the Oklahoma-Texas state line. Williams High Rural School District was formed in 1927, combining the rural school districts of Hooleyan, Robertson, Elba, Johnson, and Red River. In 1936 state maps showed a school, one business, one residence, and scattered farm dwellings at the site. In 1936 the school had ten teachers, 262 elementary students, and fifty-nine high school students. Records indicate that there were two African-American children of school age, but no school was provided for them. A 1988 map showed only Johnson Cemetery in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John G. Johnson, "WILLIAMS COMMUNITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwkq), accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.