YELLOW BANK, TX
YELLOW BANK, TEXAS. Yellow Bank, also known as Yellow Banks or Red Wing, was a rural community in the Medina River valley three miles north of Rio Medina on Farm Road 471 in northeastern Medina County. A pool hall, saloon, store, and racetrack, called Red Wing by owner-operator Eugene Schott, was located within the Yellow Bank community in the early 1900s. The Yellow Bank School District was established in 1907 and separated from the Rio Medina School district. Most people within the district were descendants of the original members of Castro's colony. It is possible that Yellow Bank is named for the yellowish fall colors from numerous pecan trees on the Medina River. In 1908 the Yellow Bank School had twenty-three students and one teacher. Farmers in the surrounding area raised cattle, hogs, grain sorghums, oats, and corn in the 1940s. By this time many of the farm homes had running water and electricity. The Yellow Bank school and community were not in evidence in 1982, but the Red Wing Road leading to its former location was still in use.
Castro Colonies Heritage Association, The History of Medina County, Texas (Dallas: National Share Graphics, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "YELLOW BANK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hry05), accessed July 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.