BALDWIN, TEXAS (Polk County). Baldwin, in southwestern Polk County, was on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway, which was built through the county in 1880 and generated the construction of numerous sawmills along its line. At Baldwin, a switch on the railroad south of Livingston, the M. D. Tackaberry sawmill cut locally available timber during the late nineteenth century. E. M. Ward also operated a mill there. He moved the Lima Lumber Company's mill, formerly at Lamont, to Baldwin in 1903. The site appears on a 1905 railroad map of Texas but is not shown on 1913 or 1918 maps of this type.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.