EAGLE SPRINGS, TX
EAGLE SPRINGS, TEXAS. Eagle Springs was on Farm Road 107 sixteen miles southeast of Gatesville and two miles northwest of the site of Mother Neff State Park in the southeastern corner of Coryell County. The community supposedly received its name when the survey party at the site saw an eagle fly up from the spring. John McClain established a Baptist church there in 1858, and a post office opened at Eagle Springs in 1869. In 1882 the community's population was seventy-five, and two years later Eagle Springs reported having three general stores, two churches, a district school, and 200 residents. Area farmers shipped cotton and grain. The community began to decline in the 1890s, when its population fell to 100. The Eagle Springs post office was discontinued in 1901, and mail for the community was sent to Moody. The school was consolidated with a nearby school in 1936; the church was disbanded in 1948. Only a few scattered houses remained in the area in the 1980s.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). Zelma Scott, History of Coryell County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1965).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "EAGLE SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hte03), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.