GAYLORD, TEXAS. Gaylord, on a mail route five miles east of Booker in northwestern Lipscomb County, was established in 1917 as a station on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway and was named for an employee of the line. There A. L. Clarke established a general store and a post office, which closed in 1922; the store was moved to Booker. A grain elevator in the community continued to operate until the late 1940s. Gaylord reported a store and a population of twenty-five in 1940. Its grain elevator was torn down in 1960, and the 1982 county highway map identified Gaylord only as a railroad stop.
A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876–1976 (Lipscomb, Texas: Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "GAYLORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htg03), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.