GREGG, TEXAS. Gregg, on Gilleland Creek five miles northwest of Manor in northeastern Travis County, was named for William Gregg, a local storeowner. A post office was established at Gregg in 1883, with Woody Browning as postmaster. In the early 1890s the community had twenty-five residents, a general store, and a cotton gin. Its post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail for the community was sent to Manor. The Gregg school had one teacher and thirty-two students in 1907. In the 1940s its school district became part of the Manor Independent School District. In 1948 the community had a few scattered houses. Gregg was not shown on the 1981 county highway map.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "GREGG, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htg11), accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.