GREGGTON, TEXAS. Greggton, originally known as Willow Springs, was a farming community in east central Gregg County. It was established around 1873 as a station on the Texas and Pacific Railway. In 1920 the town had a population of 180. It boomed after oil was discovered in the area in the late 1920s. The community's name was changed to Greggton in the early 1930s. A post office was established there on November 20, 1932, and discontinued May 31, 1960, when the services were transferred to Longview. By 1936 Greggton's population had grown to 1,500, served by 125 businesses. The town's population grew to 2,350 by 1949. During the 1950s the community was annexed by Longview.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "GREGGTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htg12), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.