GAFFORD, TEXAS. Gafford, also known as Gafford (Gafford's) Chapel, is just off State Highway 11 in west central Hopkins County. It was named for Thomas M. Gafford, who deeded land for a church in 1881. A school was in operation there after 1900 and in 1905 had an enrollment of sixty-four. In the mid-1930s Gafford had a church, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1935 the community's school was combined with the Antioch school, and in 1943 its church was moved a half mile northwest to a location near the Cedar Grove school and cemetery. In the mid-1980s Gafford had a number of widely scattered houses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "GAFFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htg17), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.