LANE, TEXAS. Lane is on Farm Road 1562 five miles west of Celeste in the northwestern corner of Hunt County. The construction of a gristmill by B. F. Pierce in 1860 attracted settlers, among whom was R. W. Lane, a pioneer rancher. By the 1870s, after it gained a cotton gin, the settlement became a ginning center for area farmers. In 1879 a post office opened at the community. With the addition of a church and a school, Lane became a community center for the cotton farmers of northwestern Hunt County. By 1895 its population was estimated at a peak of eighty. Lane was bypassed by the railroads in the late 1880s and 1890s and lost its post office in 1904. From the 1930s through the 1960s Lane reported a population of twenty-five. The 1984 county highway map showed only a cemetery at Lane.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "LANE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htl07), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.