LEEVAN, TEXAS. Leevan was on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad north of State Highway 71 and just northwest of West Point in western Fayette County. It was established about 1923 and named for Lee and Van Urman, who operated a gravel pit. The site was originally granted to Montreville Woods in 1831 and abutted on the north side the old Woods Prairie Cemetery on Fayette County Road 117. During the 1980s most of the gravel operations were abandoned, and local residents did not recognize themselves as being part of the Leevan community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeff Carroll, "LEEVAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htl09), accessed July 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.