LOMA VISTA, TX
LOMA VISTA, TEXAS. Loma (Luma) Vista is on Farm Road 1867 twelve miles south of Batesville in southeastern Zavala County. The community is named for a hill called Loma Vista two miles north of the community; the hill was on the Upper Presidio Road and was used by Spanish explorers and later by United States surveyors as a geographic reference point. The words loma vista are Spanish for "hill view." The Loma Vista area has been primarily cattle ranching country, though some individuals have attempted dryland farming of watermelons, peanuts, and feedstuffs. The area was first settled around 1874 by A. D. Everett, his three sons, and three sons-in-law. Everett, already a successful cattleman in the western part of Zavala County, established a cattle pen on several sections of land on Arroyo Negro and reconditioned a road, called Manchaca, connecting this new operation with his western holdings. The extended Everett family and the family of Jesse Adams built houses, dug wells, tended small fields, cultivated cattle, and became the early nucleus of the community. A post office called Luma Vista was established in the community in 1879. The Loma Vista cemetery was established on land owned by Everett in 1883. By 1884 Loma Vista had several households, two stores, two beer saloons, and a schoolhouse. P. J. Samsom was postmaster and managed the local general store in 1892. In 1897 the community's two schools had one teacher and an enrollment of fifty-one; by 1908 only one school remained, and enrollment had decreased to thirty-two. Loma Vista was a trading center for the southeastern part of the county during the early 1900s. In 1912 several houses and a saloon existed near the schoolhouse, which at that time was also used for religious services by Baptists and the local Church of Christ. By 1914 the community had telephone service; W. L. Gates and his sons were local professional cattle breeders. The Loma Vista post office was discontinued in 1926. In 1936 the community had a school and a scattering of dwellings. In 1939 the Loma Vista school system was consolidated into the Crystal City Independent School District. By 1945 Loma Vista was a rambling settlement of small ranches and farms with an estimated population of 125. By 1972 only two dwellings and the Loma Vista Cemetery remained there, and by 1989 the cemetery was essentially all that remained at the townsite.
R. C. Tate, History of Zavala County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State Teachers College, 1942). Zavala County Historical Commission, Now and Then in Zavala County (Crystal City, Texas, 1985). Zavala County Sentinel, Centennial edition, July 25, 1958.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "LOMA VISTA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htl16), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles