OGLES, TEXAS. Ogles is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, one-half mile north of U.S. Highway 190/183 and eight miles northwest of Lampasas in south central Lampasas County. It was settled in the late 1870s and was on the mail route from Lometa. Ogles was named for the settler who gave the land for the right-of-way when the town became a switch on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in 1883. In 1905 a post office was established, and P. J. Boyd was the first postmaster. As of 1915 the town had telephone service, a general store, and an estimated population of twenty-five. By 1947 a church and a school district had been established. No population listings for Ogles have appeared in the Texas Almanac from 1904 through the present. In the mid-1980s only a church remained in Ogles, according to county maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alice J. Rhoades, "OGLES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hto05), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.