SAPOAK, TEXAS. Sapoak (Sap Oak), on Ranch Road 1715 in northern Erath County, was settled by John Cross, R. M. Yarbrough, and S. H. Davis soon after the Civil War. W. C. Rigsby established a gin there about 1880, and M. H. Nichols served as the first postmaster when a post office opened in 1903. The local office was discontinued in 1905 and replaced by rural mail delivery from Morgan Mill. The population was twenty-five in 1920, and by 1947 the town had fifty residents and a church, a school, and two stores. No population figures are available for the community after 1947. During the late 1980s the site was marked by a church and a cemetery.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SAPOAK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts04), accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.