SCALLORN, TEXAS. Scallorn is on a frontage road off U.S. Highway 183 in far southern Mills County. It was established as a shipping point on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in 1888 and was named for Gid Scallorn, foreman of the Ware Ranch. A post office opened there in 1918 but was replaced by rural delivery from Lometa in 1932. In 1947 the one-store community reported a population of twenty-five, and in 1949 its railroad station was abandoned. No later population figures were available, though a church remained at the site for some time.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SCALLORN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts06), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles