SONCY, TEXAS. Soncy, seven miles southwest of Amarillo in southern Potter County, was a station on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railroad. William H. Bush, who gave the land for the townsite, dedicated it on July 6, 1908. His associate, H. T. Trigg, surveyed it in fifteen blocks, with three north-to-south and five east-to-west streets. By 1910 a school had been established. In the 1930s the federal government constructed a helium plant at the site. This industrial settlement, which also contains an elevator and side track, is served by a branch of the Amarillo post office.
Della Tyler Key, In the Cattle Country: History of Potter County, 1887–1966 (Amarillo: Tyler-Berkley, 1961; 2d ed., Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "SONCY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts15), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.