AYRES, TEXAS. Ayres (Ayers) was an early commercial town in Stephen F. Austin's colony and the Republic of Texas. Around 1835 David Ayres, a prominent early settler, founded the settlement, which he named for himself, two or three miles south of the present site of Long Point. The town was located in what is now northwest Washington County in a well-watered area near Sheppard and East Fork Mill creeks. It flourished briefly but disappeared with the growth of other population centers.
D. Theo Ayers, History of the Ayers Family (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin). Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982). Galveston Daily News, August 17, 1902. Mrs. R. E. Pennington, History of Brenham and Washington County (Houston, 1915). Macum Phelan, "David Ayers and Robert Alexander," in Texas Methodist Centennial Yearbook, ed. Olin W. Nail (Elgin, Texas, 1934). Worth Stickley Ray, Austin Colony Pioneers (Austin: Jenkins, 1949; 2d ed., Austin: Pemberton, 1970). Charles F. Schmidt, History of Washington County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1949).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "AYRES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hva34), accessed October 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.