ALAMITO, TEXAS. Alamito is on Farm Road 169 at Alamito Creek, three miles north of Plata in eastern Presidio County. The community was established in 1870, when John Davis settled there with several Hispanic families in his employ. For protection against Indian attack Davis built a large adobe house with a corral for horses and mules attached to the back and a chapel for religious services when a priest was available. He raised horses and cattle on the open range, cultivated a large peach orchard, and made peach brandy. His employees' families raised corn, wheat, beans, and other vegetables, which Davis freighted to Fort Stockton for sale. With a good supply of food and peach brandy and with plenty of water and shade from the creek, the settlement was a favorite stop for travelers. Alamito had a post office from 1884 until 1892. The community operated a school as early as 1908, when Selena Hord was the teacher. In the 1911 Presidio County scholastic census Alamito's Precinct No. 2 reported fifty-seven students from a total population of 392.
John Ernest Gregg, History of Presidio County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933). Carlysle Graham Raht, The Romance of the Davis Mountains and Big Bend Country (Odessa, Texas: Rahtbooks, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julia Cauble Smith, "ALAMITO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hva45), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.